Say goodbye to the mystery meat of gyros sandwiches from your local fast food counter. The healthy, fresh flavor of Spice Heist homemade gyros will leave your guests wondering how you did it and begging for seconds.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 bag Spice Heist Gyro Seasoning
- 1 pound ground lamb or turkey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 pitas
- Toppings to your preference – Tzatziki Sauce (see recipe below), onions, tomatoes
THE HOW TO:
1. In a bowl, combine ground meat with seasoning and egg. Mix with a fork until sticky, around 2 minutes.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
3. Divide gyro mixture into 4 pieces for easier handling. Place each piece of meat into the skillet and flatten with a spatula, the thinner the better.
4. When the first sides are browned, flip and brown the other side. 3 or 4 minutes per side.
5. Cut the patties into strips and serve on a pita with your favorite toppings.
HOMEMADE TZATZIKI SAUCE
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 16 ounce plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Finely dice the cucumber into a paper towel and squeeze to remove moisture. Add cucumber to yogurt along with remaining ingredients. Stir well and ENJOY.