In this version of biscuits and gravy, a layer of biscuits is smothered in sausage gravy, topped with another layer of biscuits and baked in the oven. The bottom biscuits absorb gravy to become delicious little gravy nuggets and the top layer remains flaky and crispy. The best of both worlds! It is the perfect weekend breakfast.
Recipe adapted from lemon-sugar.com
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 packet of Spice Heist Moonshiner seasoning
- 1 can of large flaky biscuits (such as Pillsbury Grand)
- 1 pound ground pork*
- 1/4 cup of real maple syrup (or water)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2.5 cups milk
- Salt and pepper
THE HOW TO:
1. Preheat oven to 400* F
2. In a bowl, combine ground meat with contents of spice packet. Add 1/4 cup maple syrup. Stir until mixture becomes sticky, around 2 minutes.
3. Grab a small casserole dish (around 7″ x 11″) and spray with cooking spray.
4. Cut biscuits into quarters and layer 1/2 the quarters in the casserole dish. Bake for 10-11 minutes.
5. In a deep skillet, brown sausage mixture over medium-high heat until fully cooked. Be sure to break up the meat into small crumbles as it cooks.
6. Once sausage is brown, lower heat to medium. Add flour a little at a time to sausage mixture while stirring. Stir continuously until flour is completely absorbed.
7. Slowly add milk and bring to a low boil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir until gravy begins to thicken.
8. Pour the gravy mixture over the cooked biscuits, and layer the remaining biscuits quarters over the top.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top biscuits are golden brown. If the ones on the outer layer start getting too brown, you can cover the pan in foil for the last few minutes.
ENJOY THE FLAVOR.
*Pork gives the best results but you can also use leaner meat like turkey or chicken.